I have started trying to read different manga and books in Japanese. I have now accumulated 5 different manga series in its original Japanese and 2 book series that were originally in English but now is in Japanese. I try to read as much as I can possibly read to see how much I can read. I have enough Japanese knowledge that I can get through quite a bit of the book. There are times when I do not know the kanji that is written so I have to look it up or ask my tutor about it. I find I really enjoy reading in actual Japanese for manga.
For manga I have:
- “Elfen Lied” by Lynn Okamoto: a gory manga that I love a lot! The story is very intense and sometimes it is hard to keep up with.
- “Gakuen Alice” by Tachibana Higuchi: I first read this series in English until Tokyopop closed down and stopped distribution of manga. I love the characters and story.
- “Hana to Akuma” by Hisamu Oto: This is a cute manga that I really enjoyed reading and it was easy to read.
- “Help” by Kiyo Fujiwara: This is a really cute manga and it is really easy to read in Japanese.
- “V.B. Rose” by Banri Hidaka: Like Gakuen Alice, I read this first in English but didn’t get to finish it in English so I finished it in Japanese.
For originally English books I have:
- “Harry Potter” by J.K. Rowling: This is an incredibly difficult to read in Japanese but it is an excellent goal to have for my learning Japanese.
- “How to Train Your Dragon” by Cressida Cowell: This was much easier to read and it is really cute to read in Japanese.